Sometimes good comes from being blinded by the light.Self improvement (or self help) tools come in many shapes and sizes; sometimes it’s physical in nature (a self help book, having a massage, painting with water colors), or spiritual in nature (flower essences, Reiki, meditation which is both physical and spiritual, etc).
Self improvement (or self help) tools come in many shapes and sizes; sometimes it’s physical in nature (a self help book, having a massage, painting with water colors), or spiritual in nature (flower essences, Reiki, meditation which is both physical and spiritual, etc).
Five of the best self help options that I’ve used successfully to help soothe my own mind, body and spirit, are:
- Meditation techniques – a fabulous self help tool which greatly benefits overall health and wellbeing. There are many techniques to choose from such as:
Visually guided meditations;
Writing meditation (alternating using dominant and non-dominant hand);
Body scanning; and
A self healing meditation using either color; breathe work; aromatherapy; etc.
- Painting with water colors, pastels or oil paints – express your uniqueness through art. This is a wonderful self help tool to employ for inner healing, letting go and for creating something new (a masterpiece for your lounge room wall).
- Vibrational essences. Part of ancient wisdom, vibrational essences are used in healing to assist with the removal of emotional blocks and patterns, as well as resolving issues from past lives.
Essences are generally in liquid form and can also be used in creams, ointments and oils (I sometimes combine mine with an aromatherapy oil blend).
Vibrational substances are derived from light (sun, moon etc), healing energy (universal or spiritual energy, prana, Reiki etc), plants (flowers, stems, leaf etc), mineral (crystals, gold etc), environmental (sacred places), or animal.
Some examples of essences available (there are many) to explore further as a self help tool are:
Flower, Gem, Angel, Shell, Coral, Sea, Goddess, and Chakra essences
- Journal writing is a fabulous self help healing tool connecting you with your true essence, your spiritual self.
Find yourself a special journal/diary to write in; something special to write with (can be brightly colored inks or the more traditional black, blue or reds) and make a date with yourself to do some journal writing every morning at the same time (before rising out of bed).
I’ve practiced journal writing as a self help tool for many years and still find it, to this day, one of the greatest self help and self improvement tools around – and it costs nothing!
Write out your worries, sadness, loneliness, or whatever is playing on your mind. When you’ve done that write in your journal the excitement, enthusiasm and passion you intend to experience for the day ahead, the projects you’re working on, friends you’ll catch up with, food you’ll eat, possible miracles that might happen, shopping to be done, your work day etc.
- Have a massage. Treat yourself to some bodywork like a Swedish massage. Swedish is a more traditional or western soft tissue type of massage, however if you’re after something a little more unique for healing mind, body, and spirit you could choose:
Aromatherapy massage – there’s nothing quite like this one using essential oils for body, mind and spirit.
Ka Huna, LomiLomi – gentle, relaxing, soothing and stretching massage (even watching this massage is relaxing);
Reflexology – therapeutic hand and foot massage;
Reiki – hands on energy healing (aligns Chakras etc)
Vichy Shower – warm water is directed over your body, gently massaging it (this is heavenly, especially after a salt scrub).
Acupressure – form of bodywork based on Chinese Meridian theory
Ayurvedic – part of a traditional detoxification and rejuvenation program of India called Panchakarma – vigorious massage with warm oils and herbs to remove toxins, is calming and balancing, and facilitates profound inner peace.
Hot stone massage – warm smooth stones are applied to the body and employed by the therapist’s hands.
A massage not listed that I experienced while ago was a form of Swedish massage. I was given small smooth rocks to hold in either hand, at the end of the massage the therapist held my feet and ‘tuned’ me, which sounded like a clarinet going up and down the scales. To say I felt relaxed and energised at the same time is an understatement. It was amazing.
I’ve road tested many self help tools over the years; it’s been an amazing journey with the most profound assistance coming from spirit. Sometimes good comes from being blinded by the light.